Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Happy Birthday Grandma!


Today is my Grandma Leah's birthday. Let me tell you a little bit about her.

As a kid we spent lots of time at her house as she lived on a farm and we loved all the animals and space to run. She is a loving but firm grandma who didn't put up with anyone's grief...especially my bothers! I think there were a couple wooden paddle sticks and spoons broken over my oldest brother Nakia's behind. And she never tires of telling the story about my youngest brother, Sonny, telling her that he wasn't eating because he got the wrong cup but yet she turned around and he'd cleaned his plate!

She has an opinion and she's not afraid to use it! She is one opinionated person and although she sometimes drives me crazy because everything comes out I think it has helped me as an adult to realize that it is okay to express your opinion.

As I said she was a tough lady but couldn't love her family more. She has 9 children of her own, 7 boys and 2 girls. They lived in a 3 bedroom house and for most of her kids' life she didn't even have a bathroom but just an outhouse. I don't know about you but I can't imagine living without indoor plumbing! Her and my grandpa have been married for 70 years. They have 27 grandchildren, 42 great grandchildren (by my count but she said 40 this morning), and 6 great-great grandchildren. She is so proud of the family that she has raised and continues to watch grow. Although we have a large family that is spread around the country it feels as though we are all close (although not without our drama). I'd say she has a great big reason to be proud!

My grandma has taught me how to make the best of a situation even if not ideal. She's taught me to love my family and hold them close, to read to my babies to get them to sleep, that a swat on the butt isn't going to hurt them, to have an opinion and to let it be heard. Best of all she taught me how to make the best fried chicken and gravy I've ever had. I love her and with every year that passes I know that I am going to miss her that much more when her time comes. So I continue make the most of the time I have with her and to make the effort to see her as much as I can.

Love you Grandma and Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment